Monday, September 11, 2006

its a small world after all

Saturday I was out talking to fans at Adrian College trying to get quotes for a reaction piece about the new Performance Enhancement Stadium on the colleges campus. It was the first football game in the stadium that night and there was a big crowd. While interviewing a man from Toledo, I noticed this guy by me had stopped and was kinda listening in so I approached him after I got done and before I started to ask him questions, he was like hey your Brian, right.

Yes I replied and right then and there I realized that it was my high school history/economics teacher Mark Morris. Very stunned to see him there, he then told me he was at the game because he is an Adrian College alum and former football player. Apparently he was the team captain his senior season and a running back who earned MVP honors. I was pretty impressed to find that out and still couldnt believe that I ran into someone from Coloma out in Adrian.

By the way, the stadium was very nice as was the press box. Very similar to one Ive been into at Western Michigan's Waldo Stadium.

As for the game, Adrian lost 10-0 to Defiance. There actually were two soccer games at the field prior to the football game and Adrian lost both of those as well. So in essence they opened their new field with an 0-3 record - kinda sucky. If it was me, I'd be scheduling some teams I know I would definitely beat to open a new stadium in - but oh well.

Prior to working Saturday I got to see a good portion of the EMU-Michigan State game, and flipped between the Game 5 of the WNBA finals in the second half to only see the Shock clinch the title.
But anyways as far as the football game was concerned, I was glad to see Eastern put up a fight and I actually had hope for them the way they started the second half. Its too bad they couldnt tie the game at 24 after recovering a fumble on the second half kickoff. Oh well, but I think they have a decent shot at beating Northwestern on Saturday.

No comments: