Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A good start

With this past weekend being kickoff to the NFL football season, it also meant the first week of fantasy football and my teams got off to a perfect spots as I won my opening games in each of my three leagues that competition has started in.

Peyton Manning helped kick ass for me with two of my teams - man I love that guy.

And it was also nice that the Lions opened up with a victory over the Green Bay Packers.
Here is a funny photo from that game



The only mellow point to my weekend football wise was seeing Michigan choke against Notre Dame. In all though, it was just a bad week for the Big Ten with Iowa falling to Iowa State and Ohio State losing to Texas. At least EMU and Toledo won though. I'm lookin more and more forward to this weekend with my two favorite teams playing - EMU (my alma mater) and Michigan (my favorite team since I can remember)

Now that the NFL has began playing, I get three straight days of football which is very appeasing to me. Friday is high school football and I've covered three solid games this season. Most recently a good game between Blissfield and Hudson last Friday. And this Friday I hope to see much of the same when I get to see Adrian place Chelsea, which is a football power house.

Outside of that I've covered some other very interesting things in the past week. Last Thursday I covered the Adrian-Tecumseh swim meet --- not to be mean or anything but there were some pretty big girls on one of the swim teams and it surprised me that those girls were even on the varsity team because they were the slowest in the pool. I remember when I arrived to the meet, the photographer immediately pointed them out to me.

Tuesday I covered a basketball game at Adrian High School between them and St. Mary Catholic Central. I saw Adrian's star Kelly Kohn set the school record for points in a game with 38 and she also grabbed 19 boards. And the basketball game was a pretty close contest too which is surprising for a matchup of a Class A school and a Class C or D school.

Also during the JV game between the schools an argument broke out between the SMCC coaches, an SMCC fan and the scorekeeper because the game was stopped a minute into the fourth quarter because a few players from SMCC had not checked in to the scorekeeper at the change of the quarter, like your supposed to. The scorekeeper didn't notice it until then and brought it up to the officials and they gave SMCC a technical. The SMCC coach got mad and thought they shouldnt bring it up a minute after the fact. The scorekeeper was telling the SMCC coach she was just doin her job when a snotty SMCC fan yelled at the scorekeeper and told her to not talk to their coaches. I thought the scorekeeper and this lady were gonna duke it out for awhile because they kept arguing with each other when finally the scorekeeper was like I dont have to talk to you, your a spectator.

So that was crazy. Lastly today I was at a women's college soccer match and I think Adrian has to be the worst college soccer team I've ever seen. I didn't realize before I went to the match that they were coming off back-to-back one win seasons, but I realized today why. They ended up gettin defeated by Calvin College 7-0 and looked pretty awful the whole game. The team has lost 22 straight games dating back to last season and has been shutout in four of their five contests this year.

During the game i was sitting nearby a girl and her mom and heard them talking about the game and what Adrian was doing wrong. Little did I know the girl was a recruit and the coach told me it was his prized recruit that he was hoping to reel in. After seeing them get beat that bad I doubt that recruit will want to attend Adrian College.

So enough about those ramblings. On a side note its been good to catch up with all the EMU people and a few others who I havent talked to in awhile.

No comments: