Monday, September 26, 2005

home sweet home, UM football and EMU

For the first time since like May I went home this past weekend - usually it takes a pretty special occasion for me to go home which was exactly the case on this latest visit. My friend Renae from EMU was getting married.

The wedding ceremony and reception were cool, but after sitting through it it made me think how weddings are overrated in a sense. Then Crystal quickly reminded me that weddings are for the women anyways not the men. But seriously, you do all this planning for a ceremony that last like 20 minutes (if your not at a ghetto wedding) and then a reception that seems to fly be quickly.



One good thing about this particular wedding was I got a chance to catch up with a couple of people I had known from hanging out with Renae during the summers and a few of our mutual friends from the good ol days at EMU. It was very good to see both Rachel and Kristi and it had been some time since I had last seen them.

And its interesting to see how people have moved on from their college heartbreaks. Kristi was dating my boy Zack, who i lived with for two of my four years at EMU. They had dated for the longest of time but she has since moved on and seems really happy. Same case with Rachel, who had a new man and finally seemed to had been real happy after a good relationship turned wrong in college.

Anyways enough of this kind of talk

Moving on, I'm still saddened by how bleak Michigan's football season looks. After losing to Wisconsin on Saturday, it looks like their can be a long road ahead. This is the first time since 1998 that they aren't ranked in the AP top-25 poll and if they were lose to MSU this weekend it would be the first time since I can remember that they were under .500 during the season. I hope to not see that day.

On the other hand, the inner state rival, Michigan State is having a Michigan-like season. I don't know what has gotten into them but I know three of their wins have been easy. While they are playing like a team that should be ranked in the top-15, they also have beat up on Hawaii, perennial Big Ten doormat Illinois, and a Mid-American Conference team in Kent State. And let us not forget that you blew a 21-point lead to Notre Dame and then were lucky enough to win the game in overtime. And if i recall last year, you blew a lead to Michigan as well. So Spartan fans hold up before you get too excited.

Facing Michigan and Ohio State back-to-back will show us what you are really made of. But until then don't jump ahead of yourself. I've heard too many MSU fans out bragging of late, but I guess this is the first time in awhile they've had something good to talk about when it concerns football and having the upperhand on Michigan.

Even with all that, I'm still saying Go Blue this weekend and I think they will win. Besides its not too often that Michigan loses back-to-back games and MSU could be in BIG trouble playing the Wolverines after a heart breaking loss.

Also gotta root for EMU in their homecoming game against Kent State on Saturday. Its weird not being up there for Homecoming. Here is hopes that they dont lose on Homecoming which they have done the past two years to Western Michigan in '03 and Idaho in '04.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian, I love the reference to a "ghetto wedding." Hilarious.

Nate