Monday, August 01, 2005

Weekend at the races

This weekend I spent at the superspeedway known as MIS. It began Friday with media day which was at Victory Lane Speedway in Brooklyn where I had an opportunity to talk with Buddy Rice, Sam Hornish Jr. and Tomas Scheckter. Then from there I headed over to MIS for the Indy Racing Experience

Boy was this the experience of a lifetime. I ended up suiting up in racing gear (fire suit and boots, helmet and all the get go) and riding in a two-seat IndyCar. I was kinda nervous about it after signing all the paperwork before hoping in - I felt like I was signing my life away, but after doing it it was simply amazing. Kinda scary flying in one of those cars at speeds of 170 miles per hour around the turns at MIS. You definitely could feel the g-forces. Out of my experience I was able to come up with a column.
Fox Sports Detroit reporter Ryan Field was there and was doin a little segment on his experience on it for FSD nightly show. He asked me how it was when I saw him in the dressing area shortly after I finished and I told him he'd like it.
After being in that car though I definitely got a first hand appreciation for what drivers do.

Saturday was qualifying for the race and that was pretty cool and exciting. Nice to see Danica Patrick drive for the first time in person too. And after the press conference for the pole-sitter and runner-up, they had a special half hour conference with Danica, who qualified eighth for the Firestone Indy 400. Ended up gettin a story out of that.

Yesterday was the race which ended in an exciting way with Bryan Herta, who won the pole, taking the checkered flag. It was kinda disapointing that 10 drivers didnt finish the race for various reasons (accident, mechanical problems) and Danica was one of them. all in all an awesome weekend at MIS and with the Indy Racing League.

I cant figure out which one is better, NASCAR or IRL. But after talkin to A i think IRL takes it. especially because there was less traffic when leaving the track than at a NASCAR event.

In other things:
- hung out with my landlord and her sister for a bit on Friday night - very interesting experience
- my mom seems to be recovering fine from her surgery she had on thursday
- was sad to see Farnsworth dealt by the Tigs yesterday but knowing he was going to test free agency made me feel better bout it
- been playing a lot of Tiger Woods golf/NASCAR lately on the PS2 when i've had time- not sure how I got onto those kicks
- my summer camp story ran yesterday
- Lastly an interesting quote that was in SI that Milwaukee Bucks guard Michael Redd said after signing a 90-million dollar contract :
"To me, I'm the same person I was five years ago when I was making $700,000."
figured u'd like that one Nate, being a Bucks fan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

B-
Glad you came to the right choice- open wheel is always better than Nascar! Real race cars don't have fenders! Glad you got to see why I appriciate the sport and all it's craziness! :) -The A