Monday, June 20, 2005

Losing my NASCAR virginity

Now onto what I've been doing the entire weekend - I was out at Michigan International Speedway covering auto racing. I'm some one who has no interest in auto racing whatsoever so this created a nice little challenge for me and I think I did alight for the first time. Throughout the weekend I ran many media members which I recognized like Angelique Chengelis from the Detroit News (covers UM football) and Matt Markey from the Toledo Blade (UT sports) and got a chance to talk to both of them for a few. While talking to them, I realized both didn't have a huge interest in NASCAR.

For those who have never been to MIS, it is totally a different environment. The fans are definitely of a different breed and they LOVE their sport - BIG TIME. When leaving the race Sunday, (it took like 1 hr 45 min to travel 25 miles or so) there was fans going crazy at the campgrounds around the track honking at each other and screaming "show us your tits" among other things. They even had the beads. There was a roadside place selling used tires from the race, and sure enough people were buying them. One of the most classic things I saw though, was a five-year old boy holding a sign that show me your tits. I mean come on - lol.

On Friday I covered the ARCA race while at MIS and ended up doing a story on this chick (Erin Crocker) who is trying to make waves like Indy Racing League's Danica Patrick. Believe me though, Crocker is not nearly as hot as Danica. Saturday I covered qualifying for the Batman Begins 400 on Sunday and then the NASCAR truck race. Sunday I just did two side stories on the big race.

Surprisingly enough, while at MIS i ran into a few peeps I knew. Saturday I saw Darcy Bereznoff, who lived in my building of the village this year. Turns out she was working security at MIS all weekend so I got a chance to talk to her a few times throughout the weekend. While walking around the pits on Saturday I some girl yelled BCal but I had no idea who the hell she was so just said what up how u doin and turned around (boy did i feel stupid) but oh well. And Sunday I saw Alexis Fortner during pre-race introductions right at Victory Lane in the infield.

Speaking of the pits, that's another story itself. I had a pit pass, so during the race I was roaming around the pits watching crews change tires and just seeing what else was going on down there. It was definitely pretty cool, and man do they get a car back on the race track faster than people even get dressed. It nuts. I also had a garage pass so I could walk around the drivers/crews areas to see them hanging out before the race.

Anyways here is what i was able to come up with from the weekend
Erin Crocker
NASCAR truck race
Newman wins pole
Mark Martin
NASCAR rambling

All in all it wasnt a bad weekend, but I was pretty drained from being out there the past three days and starting to get a headache from the loud cars. For now I'm gonna go chill and actually relax

Oh and before I depart - All I have to say after watching the latter part of game five on the NBA Finals is Robert "Bleepin" Horry. How could we leave that guy wide open for a three. The Pistons face a pretty daunting task in trying to win two games down in San Antonio, but it is doable. Overall game five was a pretty good game and a lot better than the blowouts from the five other games.

At least the Tigers won in dramatic fashion though, I guess, winning 10-8 in 10 innings over the Giants after being down 8-5 in the ninth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm upset that your first racing experience had to be the Good Ol' Boys, but at least you had some inside passes and such to keep you interested.
The stories turned out fab for someone who had no clue about the sport. And yes, their fans are nuts, there is nothing like a Nascar race fan. Did you happen to pass out any beads? ;)
Anyway, good coverage, and you better be ready for July 31st, because that's when the real race starts.
Always remember, real race cars don't have fenders.
-A

Anonymous said...

Oy. Another who's lost his NASCAR virginity. They've had me doing so many auto racing pages, I knew exactly why the U.S. Grand Prix was boycotted before hearing the reason and actually heard of Erin Crocker before your post. Ugh. And a phrase like "World's fastest parade" (what I call NASCAR/F1/etc.) might have gone well in the beginning of the column. :)

And how is Robert Horry left wide open? A simple equation:

Rasheed = idiot

Talk to you soon.

Jason