Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All Star game recap

So the All Star game was won by the American League once again - its no eight straight times what we call the junior circuit has beaten the National League.
With that streak in tact, you think a person like Pedro Martinez would want to represent the NL and help them get out of the slump they are in but he declined to attend the game despite being selected by his peers.

Anyways, while out to lunch today with my boss Sean and a few other co-workers at Mancinos, I got to hear about what it was like working as the media at the game and about the foreign media.

First of all is the foreign media objective?? They were at the All Star game wearing jerseys (Ichiro ones), posing for pictures with the players after interviewing them and actively cheering. I guess Sean said media from the Dominican Republic were like actively chanting Ortiz after David "big Papi" Ortiz did something good. In school here we were taught to not cheer and to be professional and not cheer and wear our pride when covering somethign. And this was the All Star game. This reminds me when I read about the foreign media wearing I love Manu (Ginobili) shirts during the NBA Finals.

Sean also talked about Pudge who was taking batting practice and proceeded to tell the media he wasnt doing any interviews. Then comes along some fine lady from Telemundo seeking an interview and of course Pudge does it with her. I guess she was really hot and that was enough to perk him up - (Hey Pudge is going through a divorce now so hes a free man). And I guess that same chick came up to him later and got a second interview. Ha what a pimp.

Anyways these were all stories I found to be entertaining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the foreign media is DEFINITELY less objective. Just read any Web site from a foreign country; whether it be the British tabloids, Australian newspapers, etc. foreign news sources make no secret who they like. (Googling "British Open" this week might be a place to start.)

P.S. Boswell wrote another Nats column about their chances in the second half. A good read. When I went to the Whitecaps' stadium to buy my Dad's birthday gift, I saw they had MLB team wristbands for $2, supporting the MLB foundation. I saw an eye-catching one in red, white, and blue swirls. It was a Nats one! So I bought it. Now I have two wristbands, like you.

Jason

Anonymous said...

Yeah, foreign media are generally more opinionated than U.S. media. But we should shine the mirror in our own face, too, though. Think about it: Drew Sharp, Mitch Albom, Michael Rosenberg, Wojo, etc. --- they're all not objective either, so it's all relative.

Nate

Brian said...

yeah all true - at least we dont go around wearing Ben Wallace jerseys while covering the Pistons game though. Imagine that happening - lol